I'm gonna level with you, race fan. I wasn't aware I could be emotionally hurt by a Honda Civic. I'm sure there's an irrational Honda boy out there right now, with the same anger and rage that I feel, now that I know the EP3 Civic market has been forever changed. In case you're not up to speed, we can start with this recent Cars and Bids listing.
THIS.... is a 2004 Civic Si that just sold on Cars and Bids for $14,720. A few of us in the Collector Car Feed Discord have been playing a virtual Price is Right style game, trying to predict the hammer price on auctions as they end. Today, however, I was not prepared for this letdown It happened again: an outlier is attempting to sway the market. If you have seen some of my past articles (or click here) you'll see I am not a fan of outlier cars setting the market price.
Before I decided on my prediction for the hammer price, I did a search of all the EPs currently for sale. Of the Si variants, only a handful came back with under 150k miles. Of those 3, none were stock or even near stock. Most of them were cracked, chipped, dinged, and dented. Every single one of them was slammed. At this point, I was thinking even with Honda bois being irrational, there's no way they're worth a lot of money. With that knowledge in hand, I slapped down a $7200 prediction and went about my day.
As I said in the beginning, I was not prepared for what this auction would bring. My fear, which I'm saying out loud now, is that the EP3 market is about to double in price. When potential Civic sellers do their due diligence, one of the first sales they're going to find will be this Cars and Bids auction, safely confirming the (delusional) thoughts they continue to have: The riced-out civic in the driveway is finally worth something.
So in closing, I hate when this happens. I hate it even more when it happens in real-time, right in front of my eyes. It's like watching your favorite childhood actor do rips at the private table in a Vegas club. You hate to see it, wish you could be in on it, but ultimately nobody is going to be the same afterward.
Recently on Understeer
- What it’s like trying to buy a 240SX on Facebook Marketplace in 2022
- Nissan 240SX Sellers Are Asking HOW MUCH For Their Cars on Facebook Marketplace? The Price is WRONG
- Double Your Money With This DC2 Acura Integra GS-R
- Affordable Drift Cars You Can BUY RIGHT NOW In 2022
- Facebook Marketplace TOYOTA 4RUNNER Bidding War: THE PRICE IS WRONG
- Reading a Ten Year Old Super Street Magazine Cover to Cover: August 2012 Issue
- Toyota GR86 Warranty Claim DENIED Over Social Media Photos: Engine Blew Up During AUTOCROSS
- The Bring A Trailer Guessing Game: Nice Price or No Dice #4
- Honda CRX Hunt: Searching Facebook Marketplace’s Overpriced Garbage
- Real Boomer Content: Mecum Orlando 2022 Coverage