Today a first-generation (AW11) Super Red 1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged sold on Cars & Bids. This low-mileage zoomer social media darling sparked a ferocious bidding war over its rare trim option and even rarer condition.
Powered by a mid-mounted force-fed 4AGZE putting out 145 horsepower to the rear, this rarity also caused a good amount of speculation, as back in June, just a month prior, another Super Red 1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged, this one 38,000 original miles, crossed the auction block and left onlookers shocked: on rival auction site Bring A Trailer, the mechanically identical vehicle sold for a staggering $51,000.
The CaB car's final sale price, however, blew no minds, crossing the finish line at a much more meager (and reasonable, and realistic, and…) $19,462. Quite the difference! But does this mean Doug's auction site will ruin you financially?
Thankfully, it really doesn't. Not only did the Cars & Bids car have twice the mileage, at a still impressive, still low 82k, but the Bring A Trailer auction was a high water mark for the chassis. $51,000 is the record price, on Bring A Trailer, for a stock AW11 Toyota MR2 Supercharged, by quite a bit. Previous comparable auctions include this black 1989 with 85k miles selling for $11,000, although it is a TMU (True Mileage Unknown) vehicle with reported "light hail damage". Another is this 1989 with 102,420 miles (nice) which sold for $11,150.
To find a first-gen MR2 Supercharged which sold for more than today's CaB auction, you'd have to go back to last May, when BaT sold yet another Super Red, with 49k miles, for $23,500: an inconsequential difference from the CaB auction. The perceived value of these near-ancient neo-classics rises and falls exponentially with the odometer.
To find your own first-gen MR2, be it supercharged or the more common naturally-aspirated 4AGE, collectorcarfeed.com/cars has you covered.
Recently on Understeer
- Duncan Imports vs Zilvia.net: Shutting Down a Bring A Trailer Con Artist
- Ranking Every SCION FR-S For Sale on Facebook Marketplace
- Ranking Every E46 BMW M3 For Sale on Facebook Marketplace
- Ranking Every Nissan 350Z For Sale on Facebook Marketplace
- Ranking Every NA Mazda Miata For Sale on Facebook Marketplace
- Ranking Every Single Nissan 240SX For Sale on Facebook Marketplace PART 2
- Ranking Every Single Nissan 240SX For Sale on Facebook Marketplace!
- Bring A Trailer Truckathon: 1978 Chevrolet Suburban, 2002 Toyota Tundra, Ford Maverick opinions
- [Video] He sold his SRT-8 and bought WHAT? with special guest CHB2
- 1971 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible Sells for $151,000, Sets New Bring A Trailer Record